Saturday, June 07, 2008

Whitefish, Montana

My trip continues in Whitefish, Montana. We are about an hour from the Canadian border right at the base of Glacier National Park. I'm here for a political retreat (really, I do work occasionally) and have thoroughly enjoyed this little town. Montana is exactly as quiet, serene and beautiful as you imagine. 14 foot picture windows enclose the rustic lounge area in our Lodge and look out upon a pristine golf course that sits at the base of snow capped mountains. Note: come here with a date and not with your boss.

We arrived here a night early to avoid flying across the country half a million times between the Houston trip and this one so we have had time to acclimate and explore a bit. First night a few of us went o a restaurant called Tupelo Grill. Its described as Cajun although the menu features Thai noodles and chicken marsala on top of the expected jambalaya so who knows. I got a lobster and crab crusted halibut with a heavenly sauce. It was creamy and had a bit of a kick (ah, there is the Cajun). I think it came with a salad but to be honest I'm just not sure... I had a tiny bit too much wine (once again, my boss picked out a fantastic bottle. I'm telling you - traveling with wealthy people really is the way to go).

The second day brought with it the rest of the guests - welcomed additions for everyone I'm sure. Somehow we got 15 people into dinner at Pescado Blanca (original, eh... "white fish"), which is a "Montana Mexican Grill." It features things like Bison Enchaladas, Buffalo Tacos and the like. Feeling slightly adventurous, I went for Elk Chorizo Tacos (and by adventurous i mean had had a couple of beers and was being egged on by a few folks). "Tastes like chicken" isn't how i would describe it. Not my favorite type of meat - think well seasoned, overcooked ground beef. The chipolte creamy sauce on my tacos made everything better and the locally grown fresh arugula really brought it together nicely. It was a great Montana experience and yet another first for me this trip!

Tonight we dine outdoors at a ranch ... its pouring and very cold so I assume we'll be in a tent. Also - there will be a cowboy poet! yee haw.

No comments: